30 Nov 2009

Not quite a calendar month since my last entry but running a little late never the less! At least I can blame it on the time of year, 3 birthdays and Xmas makes a rather manic last couple of months of the year.

Life has been a bit strained lately, physically and emotionally draining and I'm hoping that the end of the year may bring some closure, whilst the new year will bring some clarity. I have a lot to think about between now and then for sure but I'm confident things will be easier then. At the moment I seem to have so much on my plate that sometime I just feel like doing nothing but hide away and this week is certainly one of those times.

Once again, the Navy interrupted Petes leave. We got a call telling him that he was to fly out and meet the boat. It's only a few weeks and they're currently on their way back home for Xmas (fingers crossed) but the timing is a bit shitty. It's the second time he's tried to get the hallway decorated and been called back early. Hopefully I'll get the painting done before he comes home but the wallpaper will have to wait....again! Such a shame because it's the first opportunity that he's had to take his untaken leave for four years and once again it's interrupted. Oh well, life in a blue suit eh? The other drawback though is missing Emilys birthday.

....my little Einstein is six today (or 'almost seven' if you listen to her). We have a little party planned for this evening with a few family members coming round but nothing too crazy. Luckily none of the little ones are home til 6 so i've got plenty of prep time for it. It's been a mad rush of it today as everything was put on hold for pay day and so today it's been sorting bills, getting presents, food, road tax and starting to switch my attention toward Christmas.

With money tight, the kids won't be getting much, although that doesn't worry them in the least but I'm hoping that this time next year we'll be in a much better position although we will have to get a new car next year as Billy Bongo is becoming more unreliable.

It also looks like Pete will be working Xmas day which means he will probably leave here at about 8 on xmas morning and won't be home til around 9ish on Boxing day. That is going to feel a bit strange. I'm in two minds as to whether to postpone everything by a day although I don't think the girls will let me get away with that one.

I started pulling my scrap stuff out last night. I made a few simple cards for Christmas just to ease myself back into things. I remember how it was a way of helping me unwind so I'm hoping to do a bit more over the coming weeks. I'll post some bits hopefully this week.

The girls all seem to be doing well though. I had my first brief meeting with Freyas form tutor at school which was just an informal five minute thing to see how they had settled and when I walked in he said 'Freya really stands out'. He could tell by the fiery look in my eyes that he then needed to add...'in a good way'! She's enjoying it (although not the amount of homework), has made great friends and is generally loving being at the comp. Her work has been excellent and she's got a bronze commendation for the amount of commendation slips she's received so far plus a postcard sent home from one teacher praising her work she's done in her lessons. I'm really proud of her as I set the rule before she went that during the week she gets her head down and keeps on top of things leaving the weekends mostly free and she's stuck to that.

She has been going out weeknights if she's up to date with her homework and has been darting between the two youth clubs, talking about boys constantly and explaining to me what's cool and what's not (although purely by me saying 'cool' is probably 'uncool'!) She certainly had a good weekend last week as I took her and a friend to watch Lily Allen in the Pavilions. Considering Ms Allen was suffering from laryngitis she gave a top notch performance. Then on Sunday she went with her friend to watch New Moon or whatever it's called.....I dunno, I haven't even watched Twilight!

A couple weekends ago we went to the China Fleet for a HMS Torbay family get together. My friend Kath was a star and took the girls in the swimming pool for me (bathing suits aren't something you'll see me in in the near future). Natasha managed half an hour before deciding she wanted out, Emily lasted a half hour after that which surprised me as she's a real water babe.


Whilst I got the little ones dried and changed, Kath made Freya swim lengths using only her legs and that seemed to push her somewhat....she'll do it again if I tell her it will give her buns of steel! After all that hard work it was a gorgeous carvery and the kids cleaned their plates. Then off to work off some more calories at the park and on the bouncy castles.


So off I go to get the food and decs ready for tonight...who knows, maybe even squeeze in a couple more cards?!


No comments: